Island Cricket

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Doubts persist over Sri Lanka series

Richard Hobson of The Times writes of the chaos associated with Sri Lanka's ill planned tour to England. Scroll below for a few excerpts of the article. Read it in full here.

The situation in Colombo appears to have reached an impasse with Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC), which is understandably keen to press on with a trip that would earn a fee of about £1 million from the ECB. Players, on the other hand, insist that before the England tour was agreed they were promised the chance to play in the IPL.

Gamini Lokuge, the Sports and Recreation Minister, instructed SLC this week to stop its IPL-contracted players touring England while at the same time saying that he did not want the series to be cancelled. Twelve players have signed for the franchises, the latest being Ajantha Mendis, the ICC Emerging Player of the Year.

The situation was further confused yesterday when the Pakistan Cricket Board announced details of a three-year deal to play triangular limited-overs matches against Sri Lanka and Bangladesh at the new Dubai Sports City stadium from next April - another possible clash with the IPL, due to run from April 10 to May 29.
Posted by Hilal


1 Comments:

Hilal said...

Sri Lanka in England 2009

Doubts resurface over Sri Lanka's England tour
[url]http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/england/content/story/371247.html[/url]
Cricinfo staff

September 26, 2008

Doubts over whether Sri Lanka's Test series against England in May 2009 will actually take place have resurfaced after The Times reported that Durham, who host the second Test, have been told by the ECB to hold fire on selling tickets.

The series clashes with the latter stages of the IPL, and a number of the Sri Lankan squad have signed lucrative contracts to play in that. Sri Lanka Cricket, however, stands to earn around £1 million from the England matches and is keen for them to go ahead. The tour was arranged earlier this year after the scheduled visit by Zimbabwe was scrapped by the ECB.

Although the itinerary has been announced and both boards have said the trip will go ahead, there remain major question marks over who exactly Sri Lanka will send. If it is a weakened side then there would be concerns about the viability, not to mention the credibility, of the series.

Around a dozen players maintain that they were given assurances that they could honour their IPL commitments before the tour was agreed.

The ECB's concerns that the series will be treated as of secondary importance will have been heightened by comments from Gamini Lokuge, Sri Lanka's sports minster, following a meeting with SLC officials earlier this week. "I want the contracted players to honour their commitments with the IPL," he said. "I don't want the tour to England be called off. But the team on English soil can have non-contracted IPL players."

Earlier this month, Arjuna Ranatunga, the interim committee chief of SLC, insisted the tour would go ahead. "We have a memorandum of understanding with the England and Wales Cricket Board for the tour and we must honour that," he said.

© Cricinfo

Post a Comment